The U.S. Attorney General and Immigration Law. Applying for a Visa. Part II

Types of visas vary according to the purpose of an immigrant’s coming to the USA. Let’s get to know the main types available.

Business travelers may come to the United States of America with a B1 visa, or “Visitor for Business” visa. Commonly, visas of this type are issued jointly with B2 visa, or “Visitor for Pleasure” visa. This means if a person has an old tourist visa, it may be legal for a planned period of a business trip. Holders of B1 visa cannot get any work in the U.S. There exists a general rule: activities of the B1 holder in the U.S. must be completed for the benefit of the foreign employer.

Young people from other countries intending to become students of any accredited academic institution of the USA may apply for F1 visa. Sometimes the students with F1 visa may work while enrolled in school. Graduators may engage in practical training for a period up to 12 months.

If you are going to the USA generally for tourism, but at the same time you’d like to take a short course of study with duration of less than 18 hours for a week, a tourist visa will enable you to do that. You should apply for it at the appropriate U.S. embassy or consulate. If potential course of study is over 18 hours per week, you will need an F1 or M1 student visa.

Foreign students are allowed to stay in the country for the entire period of academic program duration; the period of allowed practical training course is also included. Apart from the term of 60 days to depart the U.S. is provided.

Professional foreign workers, who want to live and work in America, have to use H1B visa.
Here is the list of professions, which are often called-for in the U.S.: Computing & IT, Marketing & Advertising, Finances & Accounting, Teaching, Healthcare, Legal Services, Sales, Management and Engineering.

We know that often people need to enter the country for they are engaged in some activities according to the Exchange Visitor Program. These persons usually come to the U.S. temporarily with the aim to study, teach, make research work or receive training as the participants of a certain scientific program. In such cases the J1 visa is appropriate. 

Another type of visas is R visa. It is used by non-immigrant religious workers, who are going to work or serve in the U.S. for the interim as ministers of religion, religious professionals, etc.

As you see, purposes and visas’ types vary, but any time you can be sure to get the necessary professional help of a trained immigration attorney. The U.S. Attorney General is the person, who will assist you while residing in the U.S.